Monday, October 26, 2009

Wurstkuche

800 E 3rd St
213 687 4444




At the urging of my Swiss mother I ended up at Wurstkuche which translated, means "sausage kitchen" in German. It is located in the depths of downtown tucked deep in an area that a few years ago many wouldn't have dared to enter, but on this day we happily waltzed into this part of town with wonder and excitement. Its so hip, so "New Yorkish". I went in pretty much without any preconceived notions. The exterior has that old farmhouse feel. The cool barn like doors lead you into a small little non descript area where you place your order. It all seemed pretty simple until you look a bit closer
Rattlesnake and Rabbit with jalapeno Sausage? Yeah, you read correctly, in addition to the standard bratwurst and kielbasa they also serve an array of "Exotics" Including Buffalo, Alligator and Duck sausages.
Once we placed our order, we headed back down a long dark hallway to the dining area which was incredibly cool. If you don't consider yourself a cool person, being here just makes you feel cool. I had the bratwurst topped with caramelized onions and spicy peppers, it was very hearty and flavorful. We shared the fries that came with your choice of two dips they were great(a bit rich and I felt the need to drink water, but still yummy).
They have a bar that serves 24 different beers on tap as well as a variety of other beers from around the world. The most popular being the German Franziskaner. They also serve Duvel Green which is a more rare Belgian beer.
I enjoyed my lunch here and left feeling pretty cool. Word has it the evenings are even cooler.



Yvonne Maisonette Cohen


6 comments:

  1. The kielbasa was quite spicy and on this hot day I was wishing I liked beer. They do have some decent white wines as well but I generally wait till after sunset to drink wine. Hey, what time IS sunset today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not the kind of place where it's "cool" to drink wine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's cool that they have so many different beers for you to try. At other restaurants there are usually only a couple to choose from. The variety of meats they have is a great idea, too. Even if something sounds weird or is out of the norm for me, i'm usually willing to try it. And this looks like a good place to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOOh I love this place! It's hidden away in a nook in Downtown, kinda hard to get there, but it's worth it. I have to say I haven't tried the sausages, but they do smell delicious.

    ReplyDelete