Monday, October 19, 2009

Ahoy the Redwood

It was Sunday afternoon and I wanted to head to the world famous Phillippe’s for a mouth-watering French dip sandwich. But because life is unpredictable and my husband was driving, I ended up a few blocks away at the Redwood Bar and Grill. To my pleasant surprise, the nautically themed bar had a lot to offer…great food, great tunes, and a rockabilly crowd of all ages and sizes.
My husband dined on the popular fish and chips, which are by the way…real potato chips…not Ruffle-like…but honest-to-gosh thick sliced potato chips.

I had a chicken pesto panini with sweet potato fries which for the most part, was tasty and satisfying.

But, the real star at our table was the mac and cheese…hands-down, the best mac and cheese I’ve ever placed in my mouth. It’s actually a side dish but because it’s a hearty portion, it could also serve as a meal.



The menu is simple but creative with standard pub classics like burgers and grilled cheese and lighter fare like a Chinese Chicken Salad. On Sundays, they offer an abbreviated brunch menu. It’s nothing exciting, though, so I suggest choosing from the regular grub.

For an added bonus, they have live music, which on this particular Sunday was country. If you’re eating and don’t care about watching the band, the best place to sit is at one of the large, cushy booths near the door. This way you can hear both the music and yourself talk.


Overall, a great experience…definitely worth the detour!

Rachel Sulprizio


Redwood Bar and Grill
316 W. 2nd St.
Downtown LA, CA 90012
(213) 680-2600

No comments:

Post a Comment